Equity and Inclusion Task Team
EQUITY AND INCLUSION TASK TEAM GOAL: Expand the use of services and increase job placements for under-represented populations, including: women, minority groups, those over 50, veterans, people with disabilities, and rural communities.
- Targeted outreach activities to under-represented populations for services offered at WorkSource Lane
- Utilize technology to better serve rural communities
- Survey or hold round table discussions with targeted populations
- Increase service utilization among targeted populations
- Record and report entered employment, retention, and wage outcomes for each targeted population
In 2015, the Lane Workforce Partnership Board of Directors together with community partners established a strategic plan for the years 2016 through 2020. During the strategic planning process, board members and community partners identified areas in the Lane County workforce system that they would like to see addressed during the four year strategic plan. One of the identified areas is under-represented populations. This group includes: women, minority populations, those over 50, veterans, people with disabilities, people with criminal histories, and rural communities. For a variety of economic, social, and cultural reasons, under-represented populations have difficulty accessing education and training opportunities to prepare them for self-sustaining jobs, and navigating the processes involved in finding and securing employment.
To solve this problem, the board created a goal to expand the use of services and increase job placements for under-represented populations, including: women, minority groups, those over 50, veterans, people with disabilities, people with criminal histories, and rural communities. The board formed the Equity and Inclusion Task Team comprised of board members and community partners to identify strategies for achieving the goal over the four year period. Task team members include:
- Travis Brooke, Cascade Health Solutions
- Sabrina Cunliffe, Vocational Rehabilitation Services – Task Team Chair
- Julie Davidson, Oregon Employment Department
- Jacob Fox, Housing and Community Services Agency
- Jessica McCormick, Lane Workforce Partnership
- Angela Peacor, All Academic, Inc.
- Cindy Perry, WorkSource Lane
- John Radich, Department of Human Services
- Eric Richardson, Eugene/Springfield NAACP
- Tessa Siebert, Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Paul Solomon, Sponsors, Inc.
- Margaret Theisen, Pearl Buck
The Equity and Inclusion Task Team has been meeting since December 2016 and has implemented several strategies towards achieving the goal to expand the use of services and increase job placements for under-represented populations. Accomplishments include developing and implementing an outreach plan for training scholarship opportunities through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act as well as creating an informational flyer for community partners to use when promoting scholarship opportunities. The task team has chosen to recommend the creation and adoption of an equity lens for Lane County’s workforce system.
In September, 2017, the LWP Board of Directors approved the proposed equity lens for Lane County’s workforce system and the board was trained on how the lens will be implemented throughout the workforce system in February 2018.