Creating Positive Impacts for
Lane County’s Future Workforce
Youth Program Services
In the 2021 – 2022 program year, 233 youth/young adults benefited from being served through one of Lane Workforce Partnership’s Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) contracted youth providers.
- Youth Employees
- Worksite Supervisors
- Family Coaches and Case Managers
- Employment Specialist and Supervisor
Connect Industry Workforce Needs to Education
Lane Workforce Partnership partners with Elevate Lane County to coordinate industry awareness for students, teacher externships, and work-based learning opportunities. Below are the measures and numbers served for Program Year 2022/2023.
|# of Lane County students participating in industry tours||426|
|# of participating industry sectors in tours||3|
|# of Lane County schools participating in industry tours||22|
|# of Lane County students participating in DevNW Financial Foundation courses||169|
|# of Lane County students participating in the 2022/2023 Middle School|
|# of Lane County schools participating in the 2022/2023 Middle School|
|# of Lane County businesses represented at Career Expo||28|
|# of Lane County Students participating in 2022/2023 Hiring Fair||250|
|# of Lane County schools participating in 2022/2023 Hiring Fair||25|
|# of Lane County businesses represented at the 2022/2023 Hiring Fair||35|
|# of students participating in job shadows||154|
|# of students participating in a mentorship with industry||9|
|# of high school teachers participating in an externship||6|
|# of industry sectors participating in externships||4|
|# of high school students participating in an internship||63|
|# of industry sectors participating in internships||14|
|# of high school students participating in a micro internship||7|
|# of industry sectors participating in a micro internship||2|
|School Presentations||Presentations: 8|
# of students: 735
# of high schools: 7
# of industry reps: 25
|# of Lane County youth participating in MFG Tech Excelerator||11|
|# of Lane County industry reps participating in MFG Tech Excelerator||6|
|# of Lane County youth participating in Youth Support Specialist Training||23|
|# of Lane County schools participating in codeORcreate||12|
|# of Lane County students participating in codeORcreate||36|
|# of participating industry reps in codeORcreate||12|
|# of Lane County schools participating in marketingJAM||10|
|# of Lane County students participating in marketingJAM||32|
|# of participating industry reps in marketingJAM||11|
|# of Lane County participating in Wonder Wednesday Life Skill Building Workshops||220|
Career Technical Education
Career Technical Education (CTE) prepares students for a wide range of careers with the academic and technical skills necessary to succeed. CTE is organized at the national level, but allows students to gain hands-on experience in any number of career pathways. These career pathways present a wide range of related career options to students that can lead to a university, an apprenticeship, work in industry, or any number of other opportunities. By building their career awareness, students not only discover their interests and passions, but become empowered to choose the education pathway that can lead to more than financial rewards, but the satisfaction that comes from meaningful work. These careers may require varying levels of education, such as industry recognized credentials, post-secondary certificates, and two or four-year college degrees. In total, about 12.5 million high school and college students are enrolled in CTE courses across the United States.
For the 2022 – 2023 school year, there are 115 total approved programs in Lane County high schools with a 166 Lane County CTE Teachers. Click here for the complete list of CTE programs in each district. For more information and resources on Lane County’s CTE programs, click here.
Middle School CTE Expo
In April 2023, Connected Lane County organized a Middle School CTE Expo at Lane Community College to promote two industry sectors: trades and healthcare. The trades event included hands-on activities in the following five LCC CTE programs: construction, machining, welding, diesel, and unmanned aerial vehicles (drones). Approximately 125 middle school students participated from the following school districts: Creswell, Marcola, 4J, Bethel, and Crow-Applegate-Lorane.
Thanks to Connected Lane County for coordinating a successful Middle School CTE Expo, to LCC for hosting, and Lane ESD for sponsoring this event.
Lane County Sand and Gravel Tours
The Lane County Sand and Gravel Tour was held April 12, 2023. Five local high schools participated with 35 students attending. The event was hosted by four local aggregate companies in the area: Delta Sand and Gravel, Knife River, Wildish, and RiverBend Materials.
Each company hosted a different session lasting approximately 45 minutes providing students a comprehensive look at the aggregate industry and its many career opportunities. We are excited to see the impact it has on their future career paths!
2023 High School Presentations
Additional industry-education partnerships during the 2022 – 2023 school year:
- LCC Hands-On Career Day (April): 300 students/17 high schools.
- Knife River Training Facility Tour in Albany (May).
- Youth Trades Academy (YTA) (April/May): YTA offers hands-on experiences in four trades: Electrical; Plumbing/Steam Fitting; Sheet Metal/HVAC; and Carpentry. Each area received a dedicated professional training with students spending 12 hours honing their skills in each trade. A total of 23 junior and senior students from Lane County participated in this 8-week program.
- Lane Pre-Apprenticeship Construction Training (PACT): Lane PACT began its second year for Lane County High School students interested in construction trades and/or apprenticeship programs.
- Shed construction for St. Vincent de Paul: 11 Lane County School Districts have been building 8×8 or 8×10 sheds for local St. Vincent housing sites located in the Goshen, Junction City, and Oakridge areas. A total of 23 sheds have been built and/or are currently under construction. Learn more here.
- Lane Pre-Apprenticeship Construction Training (PACT): Lane PACT began its second year for Lane County High School students interested in construction trades and/or apprenticeship programs. Lane PACT students will have demonstrated skills in the portfolio checklist.
- Multiple schools hosted individual career and hiring fairs.